Wednesday, October 3, 2012

1 Month Already

I can't believe I have been away from home for already more than a month! Time has flown! I can't even remember very much! So I am finally used to being here. When I don't think, I respond in Castellano now - which is good, except for my English is started to fail quite miserably. I said the word "foots" referring to the word "feet" yesterday. Native English speaker here! This isn't supposed to happen! Anyhoo, I still don't understand much at school, more than before for sure, but not much. I don't have to do the homework, and I sit there staring at my desk for most of the day. I honestly think my brain has an "on" and "off" switch. 2 days ago, I decided I wanted to tour Barcelona by myself after school. I took the subway to Provença and just started walking. I bought a cute little ice cream and bun from a fresh bakery. It was fun. Until I couldn't figure out where I was. Every street looks the same, they are all super gorgeous and you feel the urge to walk down every single one! So, I started asking around "¿Donde está Provença?" I got several different answers from strangers. They would point in a direction and tell me it was 4 blocks up. It never was what they said. So I was lost and ended up near La Sagrada Família. I called my host dad (Ferran) to ask if he could pick me up. He did and dropped me off back at Provença because he had to go back to work. Where I was, was a 1O minute drive by car. I walked 3 plus miles. But it was fun. I love the subway system here. Very clean and organized. Then, yesterday, I got lost going home...kind of. Peu de Funicular is where I get off, but the station is too tiny for all the coches to fit. I was in the front and couldn't get off. So, I headed to the next station. It was very cool, I went from being in the city to being completely in the country. It was a huge station with no one there. Next to a park that made me feel like I was in Africa. But it was fun. This weekend I have an AFS retreat thingy. Not quite sure about it all, but I was invited to hangout with some friends Friday night and go to a concert with my friend Laura. I hope I can go to everything! Some other things I have noticed: people never fart or burp here. I have done it a few times in my house and the look I got from my host brother said it all. Clocks on the wall never work. Ever. Everyone smokes, and I actually don't cough anymore. About once a week, the bus drivers just don't drive their buses for some reason. So I have to walk to and from school. I need to go to a riot with my school for Spain to highten their teacher wages. Yes, this is required for credit I believe. Welcome to Spain. Last night I went to an observatory and we looked at some stars in the distance. I just thought "wow, God." It looked like the sky was covered with a black blanket, with holes in it that poured God's light into the world. I have never looked through a telescope that big before. The stars had red and purle and blue colors in them too. It was pretty cool! I will update about more later! Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment