Monday, October 8, 2012

AFS Orientation

This past weekend I went to an overnight orientation with AFS. It was a ton of fun! I was so happy to see everyone and just talk. I can't fully remember everything we did, but on Saturday night we went out in the city. The volunteers wanted us to take them to La Casa de Gaudi. We had to take them there and they pretended to be drunk the whole time. It was actually a little funny, and they would try running away whenever they could. They were screaming and dancing and falling over - people from apartments we walked by tried throwing water balloons at us. One of the volunteers said people fill them up and wait for drunk people to walk by. I thought they were eggs at first actually. But then I saw one of the volunteers walking on a fence on the side of the road. It was a tilted fence and that had a sharp metal edge. For some reason I thought it would be fun to try walking on it and I totally lost my balance and fell off hitting my collar bone, knee and side on various medal parts, the fence and ground. It hurt so much and I can't talk like normal, carry my backpack on my back and I have a long line bruise along the side of my stomach. It is pretty bad, and my knees are swollen and red. But I am fine :) We eventually got to La Pedra (I forgot how it is spelled) but we lost two Americans on the way. Everyone was thinking "of course it was the Americans that got lost..." Before we went our adventure then guys from the volunteer group with AFS gave a quite serious presentation on sex. It was one of the most awkward things I have ever been through, they asked us if we knew how to put condoms on and all that jazz. Super awkward, I don't think I can put anymore on here about it. The next day we went to Park Neguell (I can't remember how to spell that either) and we had to do a list of things AFS assigned us. We had to go around and ask people to write the word smile in their native language. I think the languages we ended up with were Russian, Korean, Catalan, German, Czech, English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, and French. Another assignment was to find a girl with brown hair wearing a red shirt and take a picture with her by the dragon. We did that, and she asked if she could take a picture with us after too. It was fun. We had to find out a bunch of information on the place too. We did a flash mob in the middlbe of the park and EVERYONE could see and we had to come up with it in 2O minutes. We had to dance the Macarena with 3 random strangers and get it on tape. We had to dance around someone who was singing or playing an instrument. That was fun because the guy playing the guitar was really cool and he pretended to not know English at first but ended up being fluent in it. Going back to last Friday night, I went to a party. It was a huge fiesta in Sarria. Most of the kids in Barcelona that are teenagers were there and they had live music and I danced with my friends and it was so much fun! Last night was the Barça vs. Real Madrid game and they tied. My host dad were getting into a pretty intense game of chess too. And that was how my weekend went. This week, I will get Thursday and Friday off of school and I am going to go shopping! I skyped with my friend yesterday and we were talking in Castellano and I realized how much better mine was That was fun. :) I will update again soon! I really like it here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin! It's great to read you have so much fun there in Spain (: Enjoy it! Melis.

    ReplyDelete