Sunday, June 9, 2013

Long Time

Okay so I realized today that I haven't updated my blog in months! Well, as most people know by now, I went home from Spain already. There were many reasons, and when I look back on it, it was an interesting and good experience! I am REALLY starting to miss Spain - my friends, school, family, public transportation, castellano! I would say my castellano really isn't too bad! I can still speak it almost fluently and it has actually improved in some areas! My host sister Clara and my other foreign exchange student friends that are in MN are leaving soon and I am pretty sad. I went to Clara and Louise's (from Sweden) party last night and I signed their American flags for them. I talk about half the time to Clara in castellano and the other times in English. Everything has been going well at home and time has flew by! Going home was so interesting! I am sure people who stay in Spain longer will have even more of a culture shock when they get home than I did. For starters, I couldn't speak English for like 2 weeks! Everything came out in castellano. I went home with a guy from Sicily and he spoke italian to me - I was able to understand everything he told me! That was cool :) But I remember the first time on the airplane when an American woman talked to me, it was so weird! I was freaking out because I knew she could understand everything I could say - which at the time was muy extraño! When I got back, it's like Spain was just a dream and it never happened. Picture like you had a dream one night, and you wake up, but the people from your dream exist and they talk to you, but not in person anymore, just over the phone or skype etc. You remember every detail about your life once you're back. Sure your English is lacking (horribly) and you talk like a 3 year-old at first...but you get back to normal within a week! I remember I said "my foots" at one point... You also open and close doors harder or softer based on your doors in Spain! I missed American milk so much, it was great to get a glass of that too! You remember how to drive, where everything in your house is... I did try to give my family kisses on the cheek at the airport when I got back... it was funny ! But you live in a funky mood for a little bit. Your friends are exited to see you but they don't seem to care about your experience as much as you thought they would. Only your family and best friends really ask you questions about the experience. Right now in my life, school just got out and I am going to be nannying 4 days a week all day for the whole summer. Then next school year, I am going to go an internship at Regions Hospital for Nursing. I am thinking about going to Bethel University for nursing :) And I think I am going to go on a mission trip to Haiti this November! Everything is looking up! I just started hanging out with a girl name Ali, she is going to Italy with AFS next year and we are in the same grade! I am excited for her. It is so weird to think that about a year ago, this never happened and I didn't know the people I know today.

1 comment: